About this Banjo
An openback with punch! Features a wider neck and a bronze Deering -06- tone ring. This banjo can be played for bluegrass, clawhammer, or a blend called Clawgrass, named after the style created by Mark Johnson. For modern clawhammer style players who enjoy jamming in any style of music this powerful openback banjo can hold it’s own with a loud, clear bell like tone normally only found in resonator banjos.
The hardware is black nickel plated and engraved. This banjo also features 24 karat gold accents, a hand carved heel, abalone trim, and ivoroid binding. This is a show piece banjo that is as stunning as the beautiful sound it creates. You can enjoy the tone of the Clawgrass banjos played by Steve Martin, Kevin Nealon and Mark Johnson in their many performances.
- An Elegant Neck of our Highest Grade English Walnut
- Intricate Inlays of Abalone and Mother of Pearl
- Mother of Pearl “Clawgrass” Inlay
- Triple Bound Peghead
- High Grade Ebony Fingerboard
- Slender Deering Neck Shape
- Bone Nut
- Nickel Silver Frets
- Adjustable Truss Rod
- Hand set Abalone Trim along the Ivoroid Binding
- Beautifully Hand Carved Heel
- 22 Glued In Nickel Silver Frets
- Deering Planetary Tuners
- Mother of Pearl Tuning Buttons
- Deering Geared 5th String Tuner
- Deering -06- 20 Hole Bell Bronze Nickel Plated Tone Ring
- Premium Violin Grade 3-ply Maple Rim
- Rim Bound with Ivoroid and Abalone
- Black Nickel Engraved Brass Notched Tension Hoop & Tube Flange
- 11″ Top Frosted Medium Crown Head
- 11/16″ Snuffy Smith Bridge
- 24 Round Hooks and 5/16″ Hex Nuts
- Premium Hand Engraving
- Gold & Engraved True Tone Tailpiece
- Hand Engraved & Pierced Armrest
- 24 Karat Gold Plating on All Hardware
- With the exceptionally brilliant tone, quality and playability it’s more than just a show piece, it’s a banjo player’s dream come true.
- Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/3″
- Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4″
- Overall Instrument Length 37 1/2″
- Weight Approx. 9 lbs
- Includes a Deering Hardshell
- The trust and pride we share in our product gives us the confidence to grant every owner of a Deering banjo a Lifetime Warranty ensuring the quality of our materials and workmanship.
Bonuses When You Order From Banjo.com
- 5th String Railroad Spike Capos – FREE
We can add these as a free service when you purchase a banjo from us. When you add this banjo to your cart just select that you want the capos. What is this? When you use a standard capo on your banjo fretboard, fretting strings 1 through 4, you’ll need to capo the 5th string separately. The 5th string starts at the 5th fret. If your standard capo is on the 2nd fret, you also need to capo the 5th string two frets higher, at the 7th fret. We recommend installing railroad spike capos on frets 7 and 9 (A and B). We install them on the fretboard just under the 5th string, an idea that was developed and used by Earl Scruggs himself. We use them, and so do most of the professional players we know. When you’re playing, you don’t really notice the spikes because they’re out of the way, but they’re always there when you need them. Simply slide the 5th string under the spike. When you’re done, slide it out.
- Bluegrass or Clawhammer Starter Pack – FREE
We can send along with your banjo a Bluegrass or Clawhammer Starter Pack for free. This includes a strap, DVD, and tuner and picks.
- Every Banjo Tested by a Banjo Expert Before Shipping