About this Banjo
An open back banjo with a deeper 4″ rim, the depth of a minstrel banjo, is what story teller and Grammy award-winner, David Holt has been playing since 1988. Requests for one like his inspired the David Holt Tree of Life model which harkens back to the sound of a minstrel banjo.
This banjo is light weight, only 8 lbs, because it has the Grenadillo wood tone ring and no flange nor resonator and so is easy to perform with for hours. The deep 3-ply violin grade maple rim and grenadillo tone ring create a warmth and richness all it’s own. It’s great for singing and storytelling. It has a beautiful curly maple neck that is elegantly carved with a vine and stained to a rich warm brown. The rim is bound with decorative purfling and ivoroid binding inside and out. The metal parts are plated with durable chrome plating that will have a brand new appearance for years to come. The georgeous Tree of Life inlay is sterling silver with mother of pearl flowers and abalone leaves. The colorful flowers are placed on the fingerboard as fret markers. It is a magnificent banjo that is made to be enjoyed and played and passed on as a cherished heirloom for future generations to carry on the family’s music.
- Beautiful Curly Maple Neck Stained a Rich Brown
- Triple Bound Peghead with White, Black, White
- Trimmed with Ivoroid and Coral Snake perfling
- Slender, fast and comfortable Deering Neck Shape
- Beautifully Hand Carved Heel
- Sterling Silver Vine Inlay on Fingerboard and Peghead
- White Mother of Pearl Flower Fret Markers
- Bone Nut
- 22 Glued In Nickel-Silver Frets
- Adjustable truss rod
- Deering Planetary banjo tuners
- Deering Geared 5th String Tuner
- High Gloss Finish
- Hartford Grenadillo Wood Tone Ring
- Deep 4″ 3-ply Violin Grade Maple Open-back Rim
- Ivoroid and Coral Snake Purfling trim
- Satin Finish on the Rim
- Deering Brass Notched Engraved Tension Hoop
- 11″ Frosted Top Medium Crown Head
- 24 round hooks & 5/16″ Ball End Hex Nuts
- 5/8″ Maple/Ebony Bridge
- Durable Chrome Plating
- Priced with a Deering/Vega Openback Hardshell Case
- Deep, warm rounded notes that resonate full bodied with clear highs balanced by full bodied bass to create that old time sound of the Minstrel Era.
- g,D,G,B,D in standard tuning.
- Can easily be tuned in other tunings as well.
- Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/4″
- Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4″
- Open Back Rim Diameter “12
- Rim Depth is 4.5″
- Overall Instrument Length 37 1/2″
- Weight Approx. 8 lbs
- The trust and pride we share in our product gives us the confidence to grant every owner of a Deering banjo a Lifetime Warranty ensuring the quality of our materials and workmanship
Bonuses When You Buy From Banjo.com
FREE PROFESSIONAL SETUPEvery banjo is carefully setup before shipping saving you from the "some assembly required" hassle.
*FREE RAILROAD SPIKESAlso know as the 5th string capo, we recommend installing spikes on the 7th & 9th frets. This is a free service we include for all 5-string banjo purchases.
FREE STARTER PACKStart pickin' the day your banjo arrives. We include: DVD, strap, tuner, and picks.
FREE EXPRESS SHIPPINGEvery banjo shipped to the Continental U.S. / APO includes free USPS Priority Mail shipping.
FREE BANJO LESSONSStart improving your playing immediately. Get 7 weeks of video banjo lessons delivered right to your email inbox. Taught by a master banjo instructor.
FREE SUPPORTPrior to being shipped, we carefully inspect and test every banjo. If you have any issues with your banjo, call us and and we will help.