About this Banjo
An open back banjo with a deeper 4″ rim, the depth of a minstrel banjo, is what story teller and Grammy award-winner, David Holt has been playing since 1988. Requests for one like his inspired the David Holt Tree of Life model which harkens back to the sound of a minstrel banjo.
This banjo is light weight, only 8 lbs, because it has the Grenadillo wood tone ring and no flange nor resonator and so is easy to perform with for hours. The deep 3-ply violin grade maple rim and grenadillo tone ring create a warmth and richness all it’s own. It’s great for singing and storytelling. It has a beautiful curly maple neck that is elegantly carved with a vine and stained to a rich warm brown. The rim is bound with decorative purfling and ivoroid binding inside and out. The metal parts are plated with durable chrome plating that will have a brand new appearance for years to come. The georgeous Tree of Life inlay is sterling silver with mother of pearl flowers and abalone leaves. The colorful flowers are placed on the fingerboard as fret markers. It is a magnificent banjo that is made to be enjoyed and played and passed on as a cherished heirloom for future generations to carry on the family’s music.
- Beautiful Curly Maple Neck Stained a Rich Brown
- Triple Bound Peghead with White, Black, White
- Trimmed with Ivoroid and Coral Snake perfling
- Slender, fast and comfortable Deering Neck Shape
- Beautifully Hand Carved Heel
- Sterling Silver Vine Inlay on Fingerboard and Peghead
- White Mother of Pearl Flower Fret Markers
- Bone Nut
- 22 Glued In Nickel-Silver Frets
- Adjustable truss rod
- Deering Planetary banjo tuners
- Deering Geared 5th String Tuner
- High Gloss Finish
- Hartford Grenadillo Wood Tone Ring
- Deep 4″ 3-ply Violin Grade Maple Open-back Rim
- Ivoroid and Coral Snake Purfling trim
- Satin Finish on the Rim
- Deering Brass Notched Engraved Tension Hoop
- 11″ Frosted Top Medium Crown Head
- 24 round hooks & 5/16″ Ball End Hex Nuts
- 5/8″ Maple/Ebony Bridge
- Durable Chrome Plating
- Priced with a Deering/Vega Openback Hardshell Case
- Deep, warm rounded notes that resonate full bodied with clear highs balanced by full bodied bass to create that old time sound of the Minstrel Era.
- g,D,G,B,D in standard tuning.
- Can easily be tuned in other tunings as well.
- Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/4″
- Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4″
- Open Back Rim Diameter “12
- Rim Depth is 4.5″
- Overall Instrument Length 37 1/2″
- Weight Approx. 8 lbs
- The trust and pride we share in our product gives us the confidence to grant every owner of a Deering banjo a Lifetime Warranty ensuring the quality of our materials and workmanship
Bonuses When You Order From Banjo.com
- 5th String Railroad Spike Capos – FREE
We can add these as a free service when you purchase a banjo from us. When you add this banjo to your cart just select that you want the capos. What is this? When you use a standard capo on your banjo fretboard, fretting strings 1 through 4, you’ll need to capo the 5th string separately. The 5th string starts at the 5th fret. If your standard capo is on the 2nd fret, you also need to capo the 5th string two frets higher, at the 7th fret. We recommend installing railroad spike capos on frets 7 and 9 (A and B). We install them on the fretboard just under the 5th string, an idea that was developed and used by Earl Scruggs himself. We use them, and so do most of the professional players we know. When you’re playing, you don’t really notice the spikes because they’re out of the way, but they’re always there when you need them. Simply slide the 5th string under the spike. When you’re done, slide it out.
- Bluegrass or Clawhammer Starter Pack – FREE
We can send along with your banjo a Bluegrass or Clawhammer Starter Pack for free. This includes a strap, DVD, and tuner and picks.
- Every Banjo Tested by a Banjo Expert Before Shipping