About this Banjo
A dramatic dragon is exquisitely inlayed in mother of pearl and abalone shell in the peghead of the Vega Dragon Star. The many scaled, fire breathing dragon’s tail and claws are entwined around a bold Vega star amid vividly engraved in the classical tradition. Made for the dedicated frailing/ clawhammer style player, at the base of the scooped ebony fingerboard is a delicate princess colorfully inlayed with hand-engraved detailing and the accented stars that are used as position markers. Bright sterling silver beams of light emanate from the end of her hand-held staff pointing in the direction of the dragon on the peghead of this elaborate banjo.
The precise Vega style 3-ply violin grade maple rim is hand fit with a genuine Vega Tubaphone tone ring, brass bracket band, and frosted top head to provide a clear tone across the entire range giving the professional player a deep bass with a bright treble and everything in between. Bearing the traditional frailing scoop favored by clawhammer players you can use this banjo to play any style you like. It is richly dynamic, accurate all the way up the neck, with a complete range of tone that is preferred by discerning professionals and collectors of fine instruments.
- Curly Maple
- Light Amber Stained
- Hand Engraved Dragon Inlaid in the peg-head
- Traditional Vega Neck Shape
- Frailing Scoop in the fingerboard
- Vega Lady bearing a wand with Sterling Silver Rays inlaid in the fingerboard
- 22 Glued In Nickel Silver Frets
- Ebony Fingerboard
- Bone Nut
- Traditional Vega Neck Shape
- Deering Planetary Tuners
- Deering Geared 5th String Tuner
- High Gloss Finish
- Ebony Heel Cap
- Genuine Brass Tubaphone Vega Tone Ring
- 3-ply Violin Grade Maple Rim with Black Cap
- Notched Brass Tension Hoop
- Brass Bracket Band with 24 Shoes
- 24 Round Hooks with 5/16″ Hex Nuts
- 11″ Top Frosted Medium Crown Head
- 5/8″ Deering Maple/Ebony Bridge
- Nickel Plated hardware
- No Knot Tailpiece
- Traditional Vega Armrest
- Satin Finish on the Rim
- Includes a Deering Hardshell Case
- Versatile, bright highs and deep bass notes; it is prized for its full, round and yet sparkling tone and for its depth,responsiveness, and power. It’s lighter weight than a bluegrass banjo with a classic tone.
- G,D,G,B,D in standard tuning
- Can easily be tuned in other tunings as well.
- Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/4″,
- Scale Length Nut to Bridge 27″
- Diameter 12″
- Overall Instrument Length 37 1/2″
- Weight Approx. 8 lbs
Warranty: The trust and pride we share in our product gives us the confidence to grant every owner of a Deering banjo a Lifetime Warranty ensuring the quality of our materials and workmanship
Bonuses When You Order From Banjo.com
- 5th String Railroad Spike Capos – FREE
We can add these as a free service when you purchase a banjo from us. When you add this banjo to your cart just select that you want the capos. What is this? When you use a standard capo on your banjo fretboard, fretting strings 1 through 4, you’ll need to capo the 5th string separately. The 5th string starts at the 5th fret. If your standard capo is on the 2nd fret, you also need to capo the 5th string two frets higher, at the 7th fret. We recommend installing railroad spike capos on frets 7 and 9 (A and B). We install them on the fretboard just under the 5th string, an idea that was developed and used by Earl Scruggs himself. We use them, and so do most of the professional players we know. When you’re playing, you don’t really notice the spikes because they’re out of the way, but they’re always there when you need them. Simply slide the 5th string under the spike. When you’re done, slide it out.
- Bluegrass or Clawhammer Starter Pack – FREE
We can send along with your banjo a Bluegrass or Clawhammer Starter Pack for free. This includes a strap, DVD, and tuner and picks.
- Every Banjo Tested by a Banjo Expert Before Shipping