About this Banjo
Deering Goodtime Special Openback
With its bright sound that anybody can recognize, this banjo is special for a reason.
The Goodtime Special Openback banjo cuts through sonic landscapes with its bright and powerful tone thanks to its built-in tone ring and openback construction style. This makes it the ideal banjo for students learning the clawhammer or frailing styles of playing, as well as those learning the more traditional bluegrass.
Wood that Sings
The Goodtime Openback is made from Mahogany, which gives it a sweet and bright tone, but without the sustain of other woods like maple or walnut. You can even add maple to the banjo for free, and add more brightness and clarity to your tone. This is perfect for beginners practicing their note separation.
Big Sound, Big Value
With its classic looks and feel, The Openback Special has become Deering’s flagship banjo. It’s also a favorite among beginners, with everything you need in a high-quality banjo at an affordable price.
For the beginner looking for a powerful and elegant banjo to begin their banjo-playing career with, the Deering Goodtime Special Openback is for you.
- • Blonde Slender Rock Maple Neck
- • 22 Pressed In Nickel Silver frets
- • Hardwood Bow Tie Inlays
- • Sealed Geared Tuners
- • Geared 5th String Tuner
- • Durable Satin Finish
- • Deering Fiddle Shaped Peghead
- • Blonde 3-ply Violin Grade Maple Rim
- • New Patented Goodtime Special Tone Ring
- • Steel Tension Hoop
- • 11″ Top Frosted High Crown Head
- • 5/8″ Maple/Ebony Goodtime Bridge
- • 16 Flat Hooks with 9/32″ Nuts
- • 16 Bracket Shoes
- • Patented Goodtime Tailpiece
- • Steel Coordinator Rod for Adjustments
- • Durable Satin Finish
- Louder projection and clarity from the tone ring of a full bodied tone.
- • Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/4″
- • Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4″
- • Rim diameter 11″
- • Overall Instrument Length 37 1/2″
- • Instrument Weight: 6.5 lbs
Comes with a Triangle Carrying Box
- The trust and pride we share in our product gives us the confidence to grant every owner of a Goodtime Banjo a six year warranty ensuring the quality of our materials and workmanship.
Bonuses When You Buy From Banjo.com
FREE PROFESSIONAL SETUP
Every banjo is carefully setup before shipping saving you from the "some assembly required" hassle.
*FREE RAILROAD SPIKES
Also know as the 5th string capo, we recommend installing spikes on the 7th & 9th frets. This is a free service we include for all 5-string banjo purchases.
FREE STARTER PACK
Start pickin' the day your banjo arrives. We include: DVD, strap, tuner, and picks.
FREE EXPRESS SHIPPING
Every banjo shipped to the Continental U.S. / APO includes free USPS Priority Mail shipping.
FREE BANJO LESSONS
Start improving your playing immediately. Get 7 weeks of video banjo lessons delivered right to your email inbox. Taught by a master banjo instructor.
Prior to being shipped, we carefully inspect and test every banjo. If you have any issues with your banjo, call us and and we will help.
*We can add these as a free service when you purchase a banjo from us. When you add this banjo to your cart just select that you want the capos. What is this? When you use a standard capo on your banjo fretboard, fretting strings 1 through 4, you’ll need to capo the 5th string separately. The 5th string starts at the 5th fret. If your standard capo is on the 2nd fret, you also need to capo the 5th string two frets higher, at the 7th fret. We recommend installing railroad spike capos on frets 7 and 9 (A and B). We install them on the fretboard just under the 5th string, an idea that was developed and used by Earl Scruggs himself. We use them, and so do most of the professional players we know. When you’re playing, you don’t really notice the spikes because they’re out of the way, but they’re always there when you need them. Simply slide the 5th string under the spike. When you’re done, slide it out.