About this Banjo
Pete Seeger invented the long neck banjo when he decided to have a luthier cut his neck and insert 3 additional frets into the length of it. Instead of tuning the newly revised banjo in G, he was able to tune it to an E (Tuned E,B,E,G#,B) which allowed him to sing in that lower key. A capo can be put on at the third fret and the banjo can be played in standard G tuning. With 3 extra frets, this low tuned (E) banjo not only sounds beautiful as a solo instrument, but it accompanies the voice with a deep, full and sparkling sound.
The Vega Long Neck is made with Deering’s hand made, classic Tubaphone tone-ring. The solid brass bracket band is hand fitted to the violin grade three-ply rim. This pot design gives the Vega Long Neck Banjo a round full tone that sustains with a pure and clear sparkle.
Whether you want to re-create the folk music of the 1960’s or musically travel into unexplored banjo territory or simply have a superb instrument to accompany vocals, the Vega Long Neck banjo will provide the versatile, sweet, beautiful banjo voice that has inspired generations of singers and players with its sparkling, deep and full sound; This banjo is one of the true classics of the 20th century and the new millennium.
- Walnut Stained Maple
- Traditional Vega Neck Shape
- Adjustable Truss Rod
- 25 Glued in Nickel Silver Frets
- Natural Ebony Fingerboard
- Ivoroid Binding
- Bone Nut
- High Gloss Finish
- 3-ply Violin Grade Maple Rim
- Genuine Vega Tubaphone Tone Ring
- Brass Bracket Band & Shoes
- Deering Brass Notched Tension Hoop
- Frosted Top Medium Crown Head
- 24 Round Hooks and 5/16″ hex nuts
- Nickel Plated Hardware
- Includes a Deering Long Neck Hardshell Case
- Deep, balanced, full, round and sparkling tone with responsiveness, and power.
- E,B,E,G#,B in standard E tuning
- Can be Capoed at 3rd fret for G tuning
- Can easily be tuned in other tunings as well.
- Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/4″
- Scale Length Nut to Bridge 32 7/64″
- Diameter 11″
- Overall Instrument Length 43 1/2″
The trust and pride we share in our product gives us the confidence to grant every owner of a Deering banjo a Lifetime Warranty ensuring the quality of our materials and workmanship.
Bonuses When You Order From Banjo.com
- 5th String Railroad Spike Capos – FREE
We can add these as a free service when you purchase a banjo from us. When you add this banjo to your cart just select that you want the capos. What is this? When you use a standard capo on your banjo fretboard, fretting strings 1 through 4, you’ll need to capo the 5th string separately. The 5th string starts at the 5th fret. If your standard capo is on the 2nd fret, you also need to capo the 5th string two frets higher, at the 7th fret. We recommend installing railroad spike capos on frets 7 and 9 (A and B). We install them on the fretboard just under the 5th string, an idea that was developed and used by Earl Scruggs himself. We use them, and so do most of the professional players we know. When you’re playing, you don’t really notice the spikes because they’re out of the way, but they’re always there when you need them. Simply slide the 5th string under the spike. When you’re done, slide it out.
- Bluegrass or Clawhammer Starter Pack – FREE
We can send along with your banjo a Bluegrass or Clawhammer Starter Pack for free. This includes a strap, DVD, and tuner and picks.
- Every Banjo Tested by a Banjo Expert Before Shipping