About this Banjo
Our most popular and affordable professional grade banjo now available as an openback. Greg Deering knows what it feels like to want a professional banjo and not be able to afford it, so this has become the flagship of our line. We make the Sierra affordable and you get all the most important features that affect the tone and playability. Simple detailing allows us to keep the cost down, while still giving you all the important components of a high quality banjo.
- Mahogany – Now Available in Maple and Walnut
- Natural Ebony Fingerboard
- 22 Pressed In Nickel Silver Frets
- Original Deering Designed Engraved Inlays
- Slender Deering Neck Shape
- Fully Adjustable Truss Rod
- Deering Planetary Banjo Tuners
- Deering Geared 5th String Peg
- Satin Finish
- Deering -06- 20 Hole Bell Bronze Tone Ring
- Three-Ply Violin Grade Maple Rim
- True Tone Deering Tailpiece
- Deering Brass Notched Tension Hoop
- 11″ Top Frosted Medium Crown Head
- 24 Round Hooks and ¼″ Hex Nuts
- Tube Flange
- Slender Shaped Armrest
- Nickel Plated Hardware
- Satin Finish
- Includes a Deering Hardshell Case
- With the standard Mahogany, the Sierra has the sweet sound of mahogany with less sustain than maple or walnut. With optional Maple, at no extra cost, the Sierra has a brighter and crisper professional quality tone that is easy to play with clarity and good note separation.
- g,D,G,B,D in standard tuning
- Can easily be tuned in other tunings as well.
- Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/4″
- Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4″
- Overall Instrument Length 38″
- Weight Approx. 11 lbs
- The trust and pride we share in our product gives us the confidence to grant every owner of a Deering banjo a Lifetime Warranty ensuring the quality of our materials and workmanship
FREE PROFESSIONAL SETUP
Every banjo is carefully setup before shipping saving you from the "some assembly required" hassle.
*FREE RAILROAD SPIKES
Also know as the 5th string capo, we recommend installing spikes on the 7th & 9th frets. This is a free service we include for all 5-string banjo purchases.
FREE STARTER PACK
Start pickin' the day your banjo arrives. We include: DVD, strap, tuner, and picks.
FREE EXPRESS SHIPPING
Every banjo shipped to the Continental U.S. / APO includes free USPS Priority Mail shipping.
FREE BANJO LESSONS
Start improving your playing immediately. Get 7 weeks of video banjo lessons delivered right to your email inbox. Taught by a master banjo instructor.
Prior to being shipped, we carefully inspect and test every banjo. If you have any issues with your banjo, call us and and we will help.
*We can add these as a free service when you purchase a banjo from us. When you add this banjo to your cart just select that you want the capos. What is this? When you use a standard capo on your banjo fretboard, fretting strings 1 through 4, you’ll need to capo the 5th string separately. The 5th string starts at the 5th fret. If your standard capo is on the 2nd fret, you also need to capo the 5th string two frets higher, at the 7th fret. We recommend installing railroad spike capos on frets 7 and 9 (A and B). We install them on the fretboard just under the 5th string, an idea that was developed and used by Earl Scruggs himself. We use them, and so do most of the professional players we know. When you’re playing, you don’t really notice the spikes because they’re out of the way, but they’re always there when you need them. Simply slide the 5th string under the spike. When you’re done, slide it out.