No products in the cart.
Deering Sierra Openback
Our most popular and affordable professional grade banjo now available as an openback. Greg Deering knows what it feels like to want a professional banjo and not be able to afford it, so this has become the flagship of our line.
Free Shipping on Orders Over $199
About this Banjo
Our most popular and affordable professional grade banjo now available as an openback. Greg Deering knows what it feels like to want a professional banjo and not be able to afford it, so this has become the flagship of our line. We make the Sierra affordable and you get all the most important features that affect the tone and playability. Simple detailing allows us to keep the cost down, while still giving you all the important components of a high quality banjo.
- Mahogany – Now Available in Maple and Walnut
- Natural Ebony Fingerboard
- 22 Pressed In Nickel Silver Frets
- Original Deering Designed Engraved Inlays
- Slender Deering Neck Shape
- Fully Adjustable Truss Rod
- Deering Planetary Banjo Tuners
- Deering Geared 5th String Peg
- Satin Finish
- Deering -06- 20 Hole Bell Bronze Tone Ring
- Three-Ply Violin Grade Maple Rim
- True Tone Deering Tailpiece
- Deering Brass Notched Tension Hoop
- 11″ Top Frosted Medium Crown Head
- 24 Round Hooks and ¼″ Hex Nuts
- Tube Flange
- Slender Shaped Armrest
- Nickel Plated Hardware
- Satin Finish
- Includes a Deering Hardshell Case
- With the standard Mahogany, the Sierra has the sweet sound of mahogany with less sustain than maple or walnut. With optional Maple, at no extra cost, the Sierra has a brighter and crisper professional quality tone that is easy to play with clarity and good note separation.
- g,D,G,B,D in standard tuning
- Can easily be tuned in other tunings as well.
- Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/4″
- Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4″
- Overall Instrument Length 38″
- Weight Approx. 11 lbs
- The trust and pride we share in our product gives us the confidence to grant every owner of a Deering banjo a Lifetime Warranty ensuring the quality of our materials and workmanship
Bonuses When You Order From Banjo.com
- 5th String Railroad Spike Capos – FREE
We can add these as a free service when you purchase a banjo from us. When you add this banjo to your cart just select that you want the capos. What is this? When you use a standard capo on your banjo fretboard, fretting strings 1 through 4, you’ll need to capo the 5th string separately. The 5th string starts at the 5th fret. If your standard capo is on the 2nd fret, you also need to capo the 5th string two frets higher, at the 7th fret. We recommend installing railroad spike capos on frets 7 and 9 (A and B). We install them on the fretboard just under the 5th string, an idea that was developed and used by Earl Scruggs himself. We use them, and so do most of the professional players we know. When you’re playing, you don’t really notice the spikes because they’re out of the way, but they’re always there when you need them. Simply slide the 5th string under the spike. When you’re done, slide it out.
- Bluegrass or Clawhammer Starter Pack – FREE
We can send along with your banjo a Bluegrass or Clawhammer Starter Pack for free. This includes a strap, DVD, and tuner and picks.
- Every Banjo Tested by a Banjo Expert Before Shipping
Mahogany, Maple, Walnut
Left Handed, Right Handed
Free 5th String Railroad Spike Installation, No Thanks
|FREE Starter Pack||
Free Starter Pack!, No Thanks
- All orders over $199 ship FREE (to Continental U.S.);
- All banjos are setup, inspected, and tuned by banjo experts prior to being shipped;
- We have a 60-day exchange policy for banjos and banjo parts;
- We have a 30-day refund policy. for banjos and banjo parts;
- Please see Customer Support for complete refund policy