About this Banjo
A premium quality, world class plectrum banjo that is appreciated for its crisp tone with great highs and distinctive bass response. The Calico is not only beautiful, but it is also exceptionally dynamic with both powerful sound and response; providing an excellent tool for all styles of music. At this price point we add two features, we taper the inside of the resonator walls for added projection of tone, and we also add the feature of glued-in frets. Each fret is fitted to the fingerboard and glued in place so that in the future when the frets are worn out, they can easily be replaced without chipping the fingerboard. You will gain these benefits on every model from the Calico on up the line.
The heart of the Deering Calico banjo is the Deering bronze tone-ring, precisely fitted to the three ply maple rim. The Deering -06- tone ring produces a beautiful, balanced overtone spectrum. Its weight is ideal for most styles played on the banjo. A softer touch will provide you with as much sustain as you ever want, a sharper attack will produce a distinct pop and accurate note separation. You will notice no dead spots over the entire fingerboard. The beautiful highs and powerful well rounded bass is the result of intense study of alloys and shapes resulting in superb sound.
- Curly maple with a Honey Stain
- Natural Ebony Fingerboard
- 19 Nickel-Silver Frets glued in for easy replacement
- Mother of Pearl Scroll Inlays
- Ivoroid Bound Fingerboard
- Coral Snake Neck Purfling
- Adjustable Truss Rod
- Deering Planetary banjo tuners
- Bound Neck and Peghead
- Slender, Comfortable Deering Neck Shape
- Deering -06- Bronze Tone Ring
- Violin Grade 3-ply Maple Rim
- Brass Notched Tension Hoop
- 11″ Frosted Bottom Medium Crown Head
- 24 Round Hooks with ¼″ Hex Nuts
- One Piece Cast Zinc Resonator Flange
- 5/8″ Deering Maple/Ebony Bridge
- Deering True Tone Tailpiece
- Honey Stained Curly Maple
- Coral Snake Purfling trim and Ivoroid Binding
- Slender Resonator Depth for quick response.
- Tapered Internal Resonator Walls for projection.
- The Calico has a smaller air chamber than the Golden Era or the Tenbrooks banjos which gives it a very responsive poppy sound with good note separation that mics very well. With longer sustain than mahogany, maple provides a beautiful bass response and great highs.
- The banjo plays string to string and up the neck at a consistent clarity and volume.
- C,G,B,D for Dixieland Jazz or can be tuned D,G,B,E for guitar style tuning
- Can easily be tuned in other tunings as well.
- Neck Width at the Nut 1 3/16″,
- Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4″
- Resonator diameter 13 7/8″
- Overall Instrument Length 38″
- Instrument Weight 11 lbs
- The trust and pride we share in our product gives us the confidence to grant every owner of a Deering banjo a Lifetime Warranty ensuring the quality of our materials and workmanship.
Bonuses When You Buy From Banjo.com
FREE PROFESSIONAL SETUP
Every banjo is carefully setup before shipping saving you from the “some assembly required” hassle.
FREE EXPRESS SHIPPING
Every banjo shipped to the Continental U.S. / APO includes free USPS Priority Mail shipping.
Prior to being shipped, we carefully inspect and test every banjo. If you have any issues with your banjo, call us and and we will help.
I would recommend them to anyone and everyone
Fantastic banjos sold by fantastic people. I have bought two banjos from Banjo.com and about to buy my third from them. These guys are just great people to go business with; knowledge, banjo players themselves, and just super nice. I do business with them because they are not just looking to sell my any banjo. They provide great input based upon what I want and need; not just what cost the most. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone interested in getting a banjo.
Highly recommend them to others
Barry at Banjo.com helped me make a great choice on purchasing a new banjo. He answered my emails and phone calls promptly. After a few conversations I went with his newly designed Bish Line Coal Dust. I ordered it and he kept me updated on its progress. It arrived in perfect condition and it's even nicer than he described. I will keep Banjo.com at the top of my list for any future purchases and would highly recommend them to others. Thank you again to Barry and his staff.
I couldn't be more pleased with this lovely instrument and the customer service
I recently purchased a Deering Sierra mahogany open back banjo from Banjo.com. Since I live in north Georgia, only two and one-half hours from the home of Banjo.com, I was able to visit the Banjo Barn where Barry give me the opportunity to "test drive" several banjos and he assisted me in narrowing down to my final choice. I must say, I couldn't be more pleased with this lovely instrument and the customer service I received from Barry and Banjo.com. Thank you!