About this Banjo
The patented Special Tone Ring found beneath the beauty of the Artisan Goodtime Special Openback makes it louder and brighter than the standard openback model and is great for players who like to jam and want to be heard. The rich brown stain, planetary tuners, and Deering peg head shape gives the classic look of a vintage banjo. This versatile banjo can also be played in the keys of A, B, or C by using the spikes which are already installed and a capo. If you enjoy playing standing up this is perfect as it weighs 6.5 lbs and you can stand up play it all night long!
Being an openback banjo, this is great for the Clawgrass style of playing because the tone ring gives it that brighter tone needed for Clawgrass music and other modern openback styles that need a banjo with sustain that projects freely. It is first and foremost a very playable instrument, that is built to be durable and travel easily, while being a superb sounding banjo that pleases audiences.
The stunning new Artisan Goodtime banjos epitomizes Greg Deering’s lifelong vision for the Deering Banjo Company – to make the best sounding, best playing, best looking, and best value U.S.A. made banjo that he possibly could. Pearloid vintage artisan style inlays pop off the new Midnight Maple fingerboard, while the peg head is adorned with a beautifully engraved design.
Made at our factory in Spring Valley, California (outside of San Diego), this is a comfortably playable banjo with a wonderfully bright tone. It is a solid dependable instrument that is immensely playable with excellent tonality and clarity.
- Slender Rock Maple Neck Stained A Rich Brown
- Vintage Artisan Style Inlays
- Goodtime Logo Engraved On Peghead
- Deering Peghead shape
- Planetary Tuners
- Geared 5th String Tuner
- Durable Satin Finish
- Spikes installed at 7th, 9th, & 10th frets
- 3-ply Violin Grade Maple Rim Stained Rich Brown
- Patented Goodtime Tone Ring
- 11″ Frosted Top Head
- Steel Tension Hoop
- Steel Coordinator Rod for Adjustments
- 16 Bracket Shoes
- 16 Flat Hooks and 9/32″ Hex Nuts
- Patented Adjustable Goodtime Tailpiece
- Nickel Plated Armrest
- Nickel Plated Hardware
- Durable Satin Finish
- Comes with a Triangle Box/Case
- Gig Bag or Hardshell Case is priced separately
- Has a clear and bright sound of maple.
- Easy to play with clarity of note separation.
- Tuned: G,D,G,B,D in standard G tuning
- Can easily be tuned in other tunings as well.
- Comes from the factory with light gauge strings: 10, 11, 13, 21W, 10
- Neck Width at the Nut 1 1/4″,
- Scale Length Nut to Bridge 26 1/4″
- Diameter 11″
- Overall Instrument Length 37.5″
- Weight Approx. 6.5 lbs
- The trust and pride we share in our product gives us the confidence to grant every owner of a Goodtime banjo a 6 year warranty ensuring the quality of our materials and workmanship.
Bonuses When You Order From Banjo.com
- 5th String Railroad Spike Capos – FREE
We can add these as a free service when you purchase a banjo from us. When you add this banjo to your cart just select that you want the capos. What is this? When you use a standard capo on your banjo fretboard, fretting strings 1 through 4, you’ll need to capo the 5th string separately. The 5th string starts at the 5th fret. If your standard capo is on the 2nd fret, you also need to capo the 5th string two frets higher, at the 7th fret. We recommend installing railroad spike capos on frets 7 and 9 (A and B). We install them on the fretboard just under the 5th string, an idea that was developed and used by Earl Scruggs himself. We use them, and so do most of the professional players we know. When you’re playing, you don’t really notice the spikes because they’re out of the way, but they’re always there when you need them. Simply slide the 5th string under the spike. When you’re done, slide it out.
- Starter Pack – FREE
We can send along with your banjo a free starter pack. This includes a strap, DVD, and tuner and picks.
- Every Banjo Tested by a Banjo Expert Before Shipping