No products in the cart.
About this banjo
In 1980, five musicians went into the Arch Street Studio in Berkeley, CA and Bluegrass recording history was made. “The Bluegrass Album” with Tony Rice, J.D. Crowe, Bobby Hicks, Doyle Lawson and Todd Phillips redefined the direction of the music for the next generation.
The banjo pictured on the cover and recorded on the Bluegrass Album was a prewar RB-3 that has been with Saga for more than 30 years. For the past five years, we have charted a course which has finally resulted in the recreation of that legendary banjo… an instrument that produced some of the finest examples of banjo tone that have ever been recorded.
Don’t miss your chance to be a part of the continuing tradition.
- Traditional V-shaped neck with single truss rod
- Deep arch, tapered wall resonator
- Period-correct twin purfling rings
- Deluxe Gold Star 4:1 Pancake Planets for precise easy tuning
- Bound Santos rosewood fingerboard
- No-hole, cast, machined flathead tone ring
Bonuses When You Order From Banjo.com
- 5th String Railroad Spike Capos – FREE
We can add these as a free service when you purchase a banjo from us. When you add this banjo to your cart just select that you want the capos. What is this? When you use a standard capo on your banjo fretboard, fretting strings 1 through 4, you’ll need to capo the 5th string separately. The 5th string starts at the 5th fret. If your standard capo is on the 2nd fret, you also need to capo the 5th string two frets higher, at the 7th fret. We recommend installing railroad spike capos on frets 7 and 9 (A and B). We install them on the fretboard just under the 5th string, an idea that was developed and used by Earl Scruggs himself. We use them, and so do most of the professional players we know. When you’re playing, you don’t really notice the spikes because they’re out of the way, but they’re always there when you need them. Simply slide the 5th string under the spike. When you’re done, slide it out.
- Starter Pack – FREE
We can send along with your banjo a free starter pack. This includes a strap, DVD, and tuner and picks.
- Every Banjo Tested by a Banjo Expert Before Shipping
Free 5th String Railroad Spike Installation, No Thanks
|FREE Starter Pack||
Free Starter Pack!, No Thanks
- All orders over $199 ship FREE (to Continental U.S.);
- All banjos are setup, inspected, and tuned by banjo experts prior to being shipped;
- We have a 60-day exchange policy for banjos and banjo parts;
- We have a 30-day refund policy. for banjos and banjo parts;
- Please see Customer Support for complete refund policy