You can now upgrade your Goodtime Openback to a resonator banjo by attaching the flange and resonator with this simple kit of parts that are easy to install.
Now available for your Goodtime Artisan as well.
Comes with Goodtime Armrest attachment J Hooks and installation instructions.
For standard size Goodtime banjos with 11″ pot.
GOODTIME RETROFIT KIT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Your kit includes a two-piece flange and the resonator with the wall lugs and 4 Phillips screws, and an armrest, and two “bent” j- hooks.
- You will be removing the hex nuts from the bottom of the hooks that are around the rim of the banjo. I suggest you do ONLY ONE SIDE AT A TIME.
- Remove 8 of the hex nuts on the right side of the banjo, starting at the neck side and ending at the tailpiece side. Leave the hooks sitting on the tension hoop.
- You will note that the flanges have one side with a notch cut out and the other end is straight. The notched end goes on the TAILPIECE SIDE of the banjo.
You will see that there are SMALL holes on the flange. These are the holes that the hook ends go through.
- Slip the 8 hooks through the flange holes.
- Attach the 8 hex nuts to the base of the hooks. Just tighten them finger tight at this time.
- Now repeat these steps on the other side of the banjo rim. Again, tighten the hooks only finger tight at this time.
- You should now have both sides of the flange in place.
- Now, go back through with a 9/32” hex nut wrench and tighten the hex nuts snugly, but do not crank them too tight or you will break the banjo head.
This will give your head good tension for playing purposes.
BEFORE CONTINUING THE RESONATOR PROCESS, YOU WILL NEED TO INSTALL THE ARMREST
- Attach the armrest using the 2 “bent” hooks supplied in the kit.
These will REPLACE two of the existing hooks on your banjo.
- You will skip the first hook to the left of the tailpiece; viewing the banjo from the front and with the neck at the 12 o’clock position.
- Replace this next hook with one of the “bent” hooks but do not put it up on the tension hoop at this time.
- Leave the next hook alone.
- Replace the following hook with the last of the two “bent” hooks; do not put it up on the tension hoop at this time.
- Now place the armrest flush to the tension hoop with the slots even with the two “bent” hooks.
- Using the two “bent” hooks (you will have one straight hook left in between these two) bring the bent hooks back up; going through the slots, and hooking them back up onto the tension hoop.
- Secure the hex nuts on the bottom. You will have thread left over when these are snug enough to hold the armrest in place.
CONTINUE ADDING RESONATOR:
- To attach the resonator, set the resonator on a flat surface, covered with a towel so that you do not scratch the resonator.
- Place the banjo pot assembly on the resonator with the heel of the neck sitting in the notch cut out to accommodate it on the resonator sidewall.
- Line up the 4 oval slotted holes on the flange with the wall lugs on the resonator.
- Put a Philips screw in each hole and through to the wall lug. Do not tighten it all the way. Tighten one screw at a time and just start it in place.
You will have to finesse them all into place before tightening them down.
- Once they are all in place, tighten the screws down snugly, but do not crank them too tight so you can remove them to tighten your banjo head in the future.